A Whirlwind of a Month

It's been a whirlwind of a month.

First of all, today is the first day of my two week break (FALL BREAK). At first, when Fall Break was approaching, it was seeming like I would be doing this weird thing where I have one full week on break, and two half weeks. But as we got closer, it was apparent that I needed to work some more at the high school. One, to be more consistent with them, and two, because I had missed three out of 6 Friday's, due to sickness. So Cami had the idea of just having me to high school with her until the end of the first week of November, and then I spend the rest of the time with Dusty at Centennial Elementary. This is actually working out very well. Then end of this last week was my first full week at Casteel, and while it was long, it was as bad as I was dreading it might be. In fact, I loved getting to know the students a lot better and feeling like I'm finding my place in the Casteel High School Choir as student teacher. So, all in all, it has worked out perfectly. However, I was so exhausted Thursday night we conked out at 6pm and didn't wake up till the next day. It was probably the best thing we could've done, because it gave me energy for my last day and I wasn't totally wiped out. Which, waking up to go to the high school at like 4:30am, so that we're in all the right places at the right time, is probably the most exhausting part about this whole business.

I was able to participate in the Junior High and High School concerts, with Triple Threat and Forte, respectively. The Junior High group really surprised me in the weeks leading up to their concert because I was so afraid that they would not learn their music in time. Their song was a Spanish tune from Chile called Rio, Rio. But then they just pulled it off and we were so happy with them. It was honestly the best song, and it really challenged me as a conductor. Cami also helped me out with learning the best methods for doing the things. Forte, while having the notes and rhythms down for the concert, just didn't really know how to project their sound. Other than that, it worked out pretty well. I feel like I could've done a lot better conducting that piece. I still have a chance to at the festivals.





A tragic thing that happened within the last month is my friend and roommate from college, Spencer Irvine, contracted Pancreatic Cancer. It was so fast. And the thing about pancreatic cancer is that it largely goes undetected until it is too late to treat it, and even if you could treat it, it is really invasive. In other words, when Spencer told me that he had pancreatic cancer, he also told me that the likeliness of his survival from this cancer was extremely low. We visited him three times throughout the whole process in the hospital and we were there for his wife, Meg. We enjoyed being there with him, even though he was still coming to terms with it. It was our pleasure to be with him. On the Sunday (the 24th) that he passed, he was unconscious (although they told us that he could still hear and understand us), and he was hooked up to machines that were helping him breathe in the ICU. We were asked to sing a couple of hymns to him, while his mom, Meg's mom and his Aunt, Uncle, and Meg's brother-in-law were there. We had to leave for church soon afterward, and a couple hour later, they let him pass.


The funeral is today. They asked me to help dress the body. I was able to do it with Spencer's brother, Steven, and his dad, Don. They defaulted to me, because I had already done it before. I asked for as much help with some of the aspects from the funeral director as I could. When his father and brother first stepped into the room with the body, they were very emotional, which is very understandable. Spencer was one of the noble and great ones. He was a beautiful friend to me and I was so lucky to know him and his wife. In fact, when he started working at Amazon on the same team as me, right after I had gotten sick, I would "Chime" him all of the hard things that I was going through and he acted as a listener to me in my time of need. He never judged and he totally understood who I was and what I was going through. I probably would have had a harder transition into normal adult life without his help. He just loved me and he was my beacon of light in the darkness that was shadowing my soul at the time. Since then, and before, we have been the best of friends. He came to my birthday party, he and his wife have enjoyed game nights at our house, as well as dinners. We've trusted them to watch our car when we go on vacations. Little things like that that show how much one person (and two) have on your lives. I am so happy to have known him and be his friend, and be with him during his rapid fight with this illness.

I wrote a song for his funeral in two days called, My Shepherd. Written in the key of E major, it will be sung by Sarah at his service. I was happy to write it.

It is to the words of the 23rd Psalm:
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

God bless you, Spencer!

Arizona Saints Chorale has been good. It has also been trying. There was a week that I wanted to quit so bad, and those feelings haven't totally subsided, but for now, I am going strong. It was fun being with Gilbert last week and Phoenix two days ago. That's the thing, you don't want to go but when you are there, the people just give you energy because they are anxious to sing and make good music. And that's the beautiful thing about music: It has this unifying aspect, that when all is said and done, brings those that have participated together. Forrest just announced that we are officially a (something) non-profit. Now things are being set in motion.

I don't think I announced this, but Briana is having a baby soon, and there was a recent picture of Sunny holding the sonograms. It was really cute.




The Be Good and Do Good podcast has been off and on of late, since we went to go visit Spencer during his sickness, and I had two concerts one week. But I feel like the content we've recorded has been solid. We're having our wives on this next week and recording for two special podcasts with them.

The homework for student teaching is a beast. But I will get through it. Almost done. I can't believe it.

Sarah has started (about a month ago) working as a nanny with two young children (Hannah and Glendon). Her benefactor is named Misty and it has been really good for us. Sarah is such a trooper throughout this whole not getting paid thing. It is one of the reasons I'm working at Amazon today, and hopefully I'm able to work uber eats in the following two weeks. The two kids that she works with are just adorable human beings that I've had the privilege of knowing.

Comments

Popular Posts