2023 Gonzales Christmas Letter

 Dear friends and family,


Merry Christmas this 2023 year! Like most of you, this year has been one of highs and lows. And through it all, Sarah and I have loved spending it together, and supporting each other. Let me detail some highlights.


The beginning of the year showed a light at the end of the tunnel with regards to finishing my schooling. While attending both Mesa Community College and Ottawa University online, I had my senior recital which was a huge event that we invited family and friends to (of which 32 were in attendance). Then in the later half of the year, I began and finished student teaching with Dusty Schmidt at Centennial Elementary with K-6 General music, and Cami Clausen at Casteel High School with 7-12 Grade Choirs. While it wasn't always easy, having gotten sick several times and experiencing car troubles throughout the experience, the relationships I created with the students and the mentor teachers will always stay with me. The support that I received from Sarah throughout was tantamount to my accomplishing all these things. She was with me through it all.


Sarah and I enjoyed leisurely time together, including having read 8 books as a couple, sometimes while meal prepping, other times while driving Uber eats together. These books include some romances from Debbie Macomber, our favorite being the Cottage series, a Kathy Reichs Bones mystery, and Harry Potter, reading with a podcast by the Super Carlin Brothers. We also enjoyed beating Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on a computer Nintendo 64 emulator. We're in the process of beating Majora's Mask.


Sarah and I joined a club called The Trifecta Club with members from our previous ward. In it we work to create "three major works." They fall under the category of Art, Music, and Literature. It's a club to develop ourselves, created by our friend Alison Fox.


This club and my favorite podcast, Popcorn Culture (I listen to it every week), inspired me to create a podcast with my brother, Jake, called The Be Good and Do Good podcast, all about our missions from a week to week perspective. It's funny that the episode with "rabies" in the title gets the most listens. Some guests include our wives and other family members.


In the summer of this year, we were blessed to go to Washington DC to support Sarah's brother, Arnie, as he retired from the Air Force. I was asked to sing the National Anthem at the ceremony. We took the time during this excursion to get to know the city as a couple and with the family. On the return trip we were able to support a niece's baptism.


Soon after, we went to my family reunion in Logan where we enjoyed Peruvian Tallarin Saltado that Sarah and I made, playing games, watching movies, and holding a Gonzales family talent show, where Sarah showcased her stand up comedy.


I have continued co-directing Arizona Saints Chorale with my friends, Forrest and Abraham. We performed a mid-year concert with the theme of Let God Prevail, and a Christmas concert with the theme of Light of the World. At each of those concerts, two of my choral pieces were debuted. I was also able to make good friends with members of the choir.


I was able to write a song called My Shepherd which was performed by Sarah at the funeral of one of our good friends, Spencer Irvine. We were able to visit him after he found out his diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. We celebrated his wife's birthday there. It was devastating the toll it took on him and we feel for Meg. Spencer is the epitome of a true disciple of Christ and friend. We will miss him.


Sarah and I became service missionaries and started working in the laundry of the Mesa Arizona Temple. We enjoy the company of the other volunteers and at Christmas began singing church Christmas hymns while we fold the laundry.


During my student teaching Sarah was able to nanny for two young children ages 5 and 2. She has loved being their nanny and being critical in their development. 


We have enjoyed being married these 6 years come the 30th, and are happy in Apache Junction, AZ and our Ironwood Ward (where we won most unique chili in October).


Lastly, I had two wonderful piano students that I helped prepare for a Christmas recital, in which they did a wonderful job and made me so proud. I love my piano students.


If you made it this far, thank you.


Please have a great holiday and a great 2024 from the Gonzales family.


Love,







John and Sarah Gonzales





Comments

Popular Posts